Intertek is searching for an Consulting Engineer to join our Assurance team based from our Cortland, NY office. This is a fantastic opportunity to grow a versatile career in the Design and Regulatory Consulting Field!
The Consulting Engineer offers independent advice on engineering, science and/or other related topics to companies and government organizations. The Consulting Engineer assists in providing efficient services to clients, and independently conducts on and offsite evaluation to customer specific requirements.
Industries covered by this role are consumer electronics, appliances, ICT, lighting, HVAC/R, and renewable energy.
Scope of Work
- Research, read and determine applicability of national codes and standards
- Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions
- Validate the project scope and sample applicability
- Under scope of the project, identify required testing and develop test plans
- Supply information for quotes such as length of project, resources and samples required, and standards that will be used.
- Provide more specialized “expertise” in one product category, i.e., become subject matter expert, or obtain and maintain advanced product knowledge.
- Coordinate and lead client meetings/discussions.
- Provide sales support for product requirements discussions including direct customer presentations
- Communicate project status to client, sales personnel, and management throughout project
Who We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree preferred; advanced degree desired
- 5-10 years directly related experience; prefer electrical, regulatory, safety, compliance experience
- Demonstrated Experience in leading cross functional technical and business discussions with both internal and external clients
- Demonstrated abilities to be adaptable, a quick learner and possess the skills that would enable the working understanding of new standards; and apply experience to be able to be presented to the client/project on an expert level.
- Ability to travel approx. up to 25%
- Experience in working in a regulatory and product development engineering capacity(OEM/Manufacture and/or NRTL)
- Experience working in the Appliance(commercial, residential, fixed & portable), Electronics, ICT, Lighting, and HVAC/HVACR industries in product regulatory and/or product development capacities
- Experience with UL and IEC standards interpretations to demonstrate NRTL, CE marking and other regulatory compliance schemes
- Experience & Skills including knowledge of standards such as UL/IEC 60335-1, UL/IEC 60335-2-XX, UL 197, UL/IEC 62368-1, UL/IEC 61010, UL 1598, UL 8750, UL 962, UL 859, UL/IEC 60730-1, UL/IEC 60730-2-XX
- Applied sanitation (NSF) standards interpretation experience – NSF 18, NSF 4, NSF 2, NSF 169
- Knowledge and experience in industries such as Consumer Electronics, HVAC/HVAC-R , Food Equipment, Lighting, Transportation Technology, Laser Technology, Robotics and Energy Storage (Battery Applications)
- Experience dealing with Standards writing committees, AHJ’s with respect to new and unusual products, regulations.
- Clear understanding and formal SME experience relative to “battery applications usage in consumer products, commercial products – relative to applicable regulatory standards (global & domestic); both in the “design for regulatory compliance”, and “design for hazard management” (beyond regulatory)
- SME in the areas of NEC (NEC 70 , Article 90- Other related) , CE Code (CSA C22.1) , related OSHA- along with UL 962, UL 2273, UL 2202, UL 2231-1 & 2 , UL 2251, UL 2580, UL 2594, UL 2595
- Experience with CE/UKCA “Directive Applicability” interpretation
- Demonstrated experience in the utilization of the FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, Functional Safety tools
- Clear Understanding of the overall Product Development / Product Delivery cross-functional integration process.
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about and .
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our .
What we Have to Offer
, you can expect salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including
- Fully comprehensive benefits package; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability
- 401(k) with company matching
- Competitive market pay
- Quarterly Bonus Plan
- Employee referral bonus
- Discounted prices on travel, merchandise, auto purchases
- Tuition reimbursement and much more.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Intertek believes that are our strongest tool for success. We are an and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, or who need assistance applying, please email or call 1-877-694-8543 (option #5) to speak with a member of the HR Department.
About Us: Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification (ATIC) solutions for our customers’ operations and supply chains. Working at Intertek means joining a global network of state-of-the-art facilities and passionate people who deliver superior customer service with a purpose of bringing quality, safety, and sustainability to life.